Old June 20th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

Default Different plane, same fix

Jay Honeck wrote:
I fixed that problem by spending an hour tracing all the electrical
lines, and tightening connections. The main culprit was a wire
connector that was screwed into the backside of the alternator with a
simple phillips screw -- no safety wire, no loc-tite, no nuthin'.
Looked like a ground wire to me, but I'm no mechanic.

SNIP
Anyway, what should I put on this stupid screw to stop it from
vibrating loose? LocTite? Another lock washer? There's no way to
safety wire it...

"Generally" there's only 2 wires on the alternator; the field wire from
the regulator, and the output. Ground is usually established through
the case of the alternator and associated bracket. If it was a
relatively thin wire, it was more likely that it was the field. If
that's the case, you defintely DON'T want to safety wire it. A fresh
lock washer, and if you absolutely must, a very small dab of Locktite.

There's always a chance that it was some sort of "extra" ground that
someone added, but if that being loose is causing a whine, it seems
like something else is also wrong (and the extra ground is covering it
up).

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com