Old January 8th 04, 08:22 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:34:24 GMT, "Mark"
wrote:

btw came across some other interesting info wrt this topic.

FWIW the missile in question appears to be an AIM-47A (aka GAR-1) Falcon

Thanks a bunch! I've Googled several times trying to find it again
over the years with no luck. Picture 4 looks like the friggin' thing
was launched from SPACE :-)

It is. I remember emailing the guy telling him that and explaining
the whole thing in detail. (except it's GAR-9)
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-47.html

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/falim47a.htm

According to this....

http://www.netwrx1.com/skunk-works/v05.n180

Had 12/13 'hits'

It was 6 of 7.

The thing about it as the link above mentions is that they actually
began the research even before the Blackbird came along. It was
originally designed for the F-108. However if you look at early
drawings of the XF-103 (Which the F-108 was designed instead of
because the -103 was too far ahead of it's time) there is a missile
labeled "GAR-X" which is clearly a drawing of an AIM-47. The AIM-47
was an incredible achievement for it's time and would even be
considered so today. In many ways it was better than Phoenix.