Old March 29th 04, 04:42 PM

Quite correct. If you think about the rather large *quantity* of fuel
squirted out of the updraft carb with the accelerator pump, you won't want to use it
to prime again... *especially* on a hot engine. Since it can take a bit to get fuel
through the intake runners (since it was shut down with the cutoff), I will sometimes
give it 1/2 to 1 squirt with the throttle, but only while already cranking. If you do
it before you're cranking, you're guaranteeing fuel pooling up on the intake ducting
to the carb... you know, right by the fuzzy oil-soaked air filter material.

-Cory

John P
wrote:
: Put a carburetor on the bench from a 180hp Lycoming and fill it with fuel.
: Pump the
: throttle(once) and watch the fuel hit the ceiling. You'll never pump the
: throttle again when
: the engine is hot!!! It's best just to go rich( a hot start, not fuel
: injected) and crack the throttle,
: crank a half a dozen blades, should start if engine is OK. I believe there
: is more fuel thrown to the engine
: with the throttle than the primer. Remember, the primer only adds fuel to
: three of the cylinders and
: not the fourth, so that helps on a hot start is one pump is needed from the
: primer.

: John Prince

: From: "Nathan Young"
: Subject: HOT start 180HP engine
: Date: Monday, March 29, 2004 8:14 AM

: On 28 Mar 2004 22:32:48 GMT, (Hankal) wrote:

:My 1973 Skyhawk has the 360/180 hp engine carburated.
:When the engine is hot it is difficult to start.
:My procedure is master switch battery side on, fuel pump on. Prime throttle
: 3
:times. Fuel pump off, turn starter while advancing the throttle.
:Today she would not fire and the battery went south.

: Master, fuel pump, no primer, mixture rich, crack throttle. Crank.

: After 2 tries, if it will not start in this manner, then I assume it
: is not longer 'hot' and prime regularly.

: This is on a Cherokee 180... I believe it is easier to start than
: most when hot.

: -Nathan

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *