Old September 10th 03, 02:52 AM
Eric Greenwell

In article ,
says...
I am not so sure if a transponder makes sense, if not in a powered
sailplane. I was told, that only with a transponder I could cross a
20km whide controlled airspace - ok - get a transponder in and
test fly it.

Same situation asking permission to cross the same area.
ATC: do you have a transponder ... yes
the usual switch on procedure followed and then the permit to
cross the airspace ending with - keep flight level at xxxxxx ft
my answer: glider CH cannot keep flight level
ATC: withdraws permit to cross airspace
(too much work to shuffle traffic vertically as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
ok then - rip the transponder out.

Where did this take place?

- Transponders for gliders are just battery flattening
- we should have a receiver telling us, where the big birds are
comming from

Actually, they have a receiver telling them where we are coming from,
IF we have transponder (at least in the USA - not sure where you are).

--
!Replace DECIMAL.POINT in my e-mail address with just a . to reply
directly

Eric Greenwell
Richland, WA (USA)