Old January 1st 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default legal to use home-printed IFR plates?

I've never seen the/a definitive answer to this question:

Are there any negative legal ramifications of using IFR plates obtained
from, for instance, the AOPA website, so long as the plate is current
(they're now printing the date range of the plate's validity in the
margins), printed properly/legibly and in good condition?

I.e. - When I see these plates linked to from the "AIRNAV" website for an
airport, for instance, it says the following:

NOT FOR NAVIGATION. Please procure official charts for flight.
FAA instrument procedures published for use between 22 December 2005 at
0901Z and 19 January 2006 at 0900Z.

While these two statements almost seem to be contradictory, it's clearly
implied that one should NOT use such "home-printed" plates in the cockpit.

Any FSDO's out there care to comment? Other opinions?

Curious,

-- Marty