Old June 29th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Default antenna

A "whip" or monopole antenna such as this requires a ground plane to operate
properly. In general, a metal airplane with metal fuselage in all
directions will serve very well

In a plastic airplane, a "ground plane" of several (four is the accepted
number)radials quarter wave long (about 24") coming out at right angles at
right angles from the antenna is a requirement. A single 8x10 aluminum
bracket isn't going to cut it.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

"et" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 8:07 am, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Describe the "old antenna" and how it is installed.

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

"et" wrote in message

Is there an easy way for a novice to check an old antenna?
thanks
et- Hide quoted text -

It is a VHF com, similar to the AV-529 that AC Spruce sells.
Aluminum base, slanted whip off a late 60's pa-28. It is mounted on
an al. base about8"x10" in the rear of a Glasair fuse. The base is
connected to the a/c ground. I can turn on the runway lights from my
hanger with the PTT switch on the control stick[about 200']. When I
taxi tested for the first time, it wouldn't turn the lights on from
the end of the runway[about 1500']. I don't have the headset jacks
hooked up yet, just the PTT and a small speaker. I can recieve in
the hanger from a/c in and near the pattern.

et