Old May 4th 14, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Trailer Chains - To Cross of Not to Cross - That is the Question

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:12:16 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:

I attached each end of (the chain) to each of the bolts that secure the tongue to the trailer floor (redundant attachment to trailer). The front end of the loop is hooked up to one of the tow bar chain eyes with a screw gate link when towing (single point failure). The chain is routed over the top of the trailer jacking wheel attach bracket so it does not drag on the road.

..
..
..
The distance between the trailer axle and the chain attach points is so long on a glider trailer that I doubt it makes any difference to unhook stability exactly where they are attached or whether they are crossed.

Would it be sound to attach the chain to both the trailer floor AND to the front of the tongue? That way the chains might catch a detached tongue AND be redundant for a failed tongue. It might as well keep a completely detached tongue from becoming a hazard to the following traffic.

Here's a gob-smacking picture of non-tubular failed hitch (not my hitch) http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...r/IMG_1492.jpg

It amazes me that this most simple life-critical structural part would not have a bulletproof safety margin.