Old January 6th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Aspen at night

"Blanche" wrote in message ...
John R. Copeland wrote:
"John Clonts" wrote in message
(you know you're a local when you call it Ajax and Buttermilk)

Is there another name for Buttermilk? (I have skied all the Aspen
areas but it was years ago)

And, where is the localizer antenna? I have a vague recollection of a
structure extending across the top of the ski run "Buckhorn", almost
blocking it (i.e. you had to ski around it to get to the run). Is that
it? (trail map:
http://www.rsn.com/util/trail_map_disp.html?permcode=303003 )

Yes, John, that's where the localizer is.
It's maybe 16 ruggedized VHF Yagis over a big metal-mesh groundplane.
The first time I saw it from a distance, I thought it might be
some sort of a picnic platform!

Buttermilk = Tiehack, maybe?
Isn't that just a bus stop between the airport and Highlands? :-)
Did you ever eat at Krabloonik on the west slope of Snowmass?
Mmmmm!

There are 4 mountains that comprise "Aspen" and all are connected
by shuttle but that's the only way to get from one to another.
The 4 are Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk and
Snowmass. Buttermilk is mostly for beginners. The original name
for Aspen Mountain was Ajax.

Useful for winning trivia contests!

Don't forget that other bit of trivia, Blanche...
"What percentage of Aspen Mountain is rated for Beginners?"
Obviously, you and many others here already know the answer.

I still miss the après-ski rowdiness on the old deck at Little Nell. :-(