Old November 29th 05, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Hard Starting Cold Continental Engines

In article .com,
"M.E. Borner" wrote:

I am not sure what type of injection system I have but it definitely is
fuel injected. I too think (am hoping) it is technique related,
certainly the least expensive route to a solution. I am leery of
burning up another starter while trouble shooting technique. My
un-preheated cold weather/cold engine starting technique is very
similar to my warm weather/cold engine technique and is as follows:

throttle open 1/4 inch
mixture full rich
electric fuel pump/prime on
wait a few seconds (2 at the most)
crank

In warm weather it starts right away. Colder weather takes 4-5 seconds
of cranking before it starts. Cold weather takes major cranking and no
fuel pump after the first attempt. Sometimes I get it going and
sometimes I don't. Both engines are very difficult and uncertain,
although the right engine is much more cooperative than the left.

Which priming system?
My experience is with the Turbo Arrow IV.
There are two different priming system for that engine.