Old July 13th 18, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On 07/13/2018 07:21 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 07/13/2018 05:46 AM, Eric Foertsch wrote:
I have a Cambridge GPS-NAV. I am trying to download a flight log. It
looks like the Aero Explorer software is reading it from the GPS-NAV
ok, but then a dialog box pops up with an error msg "Error writing
flight log to disk."

I was able to download logs earlier this year, but was running on a
different PC with Windows 7 (I think). I now am using a machine with
Windows 8.1. I did try turning off the Avast antivirus software with
no luck.

I was able to download the log via SeeYou but I wanted to download it
via the Cambridge software for use as an official flight for badge
purposes.

If SeeYou works, just use it.Â* No requirement to use Cambridge software.
Â*Check the dates, many old recorders will show a date 18 years in the
past, invalidating the log.Â* Submit to OLC as an easy check for IGC
security being valid.

Get rid of Windows 8.1, it was a disaster.Â* M$ tried to upgrade everyone
to 10.Â* But using obsolete software and hardware with modern OS's leads
to lots of problems.Â* Update to something like an LXNAV Nano, which acts
like a USB memory device and lets you just copy the file out easily.
Trying to use RS-232 devices in this day and age is a waste of time.

-Dave

If you happen to have PowerFlarm, then enabling the igc logging is
another good alternative. This saved me when the RS-232 link from my
CAI 302 into my Tophat computer stopped working at a camp this year.

The GPS-NAV puts out a binary .cai file, which is secure but
proprietary. Has to be converted to .igc with an external program.
Definitely time to move on.

-Dave

Any ideas on what to try other than finding a PC with an older version
of Windows? (Or upgrading my logger?)