Old August 19th 03, 08:29 AM
Peter Duniho

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
[...]
Given this traffic scenario, would any of you guys have followed my
suggestion to turn to a 180 heading, or was I wasting my breath?

I can't imagine why the Baron didn't turn as you suggested, assuming he
really was IMC. Roy's suggestion that the Baron pilot started the turn
before hearing your suggested vector may be the case, but it seems foolish
of the Baron pilot to make a decision to turn one direction or another
without any input from ATC, if in IMC.

As for whether the other traffic was VFR or not, that's less clear. The
Baron pilot stopped reporting IMC (at least according to your description)
well before the two planes actually converged. It's entirely possible the
Baron did wind up flying out of a cloud, and from that point on was actually
looking for the other traffic. Actually, I suppose if the Baron wound up in
VMC, that might explain the direction he turned and why he was willing to
make a turn without ATC advice.

In any case, keep making those "vectors for traffic" suggestions. Most
pilots, if IMC with no hope of seeing the other traffic, would listen to
you. I know I would.

Pete