Old January 10th 04, 08:46 PM
John R Weiss

"Ed Rasimus" wrote...

Once slow, it would be a question of who could keep flying. It would
definitely be a low-speed fight and except for first moves, largely
horizontal. Stall speed of the Tweet, about 72 knots. The wiley Tweet
driver should probably pull the spoiler circuit breaker (those little
panels on the top of the engine intakes that disrupt airflow over the
tail to give stall warning buffet)--that would let you milk another
four or five knots slower. Then, judicious use of flaps to get a bit
more turn rate at yet lower speed.....

It's been a while since I flew the Buckeye (and never flew the Tweet), but IIRC
the light-weight stall speed was around 80 knots with flaps down. One problem
would be that the T-2 had a 3-position flap lever (Up, 1/2, Full), so "milking"
the flaps down (a great slow-speed tactic in the A-4) would not be possible.

OTOH, the Buckeye's relative excess power would likely allow it to use the
vertical at near-Tweet speeds, allowing it to keep up (or back) with the Tweet.

OTOOH, if the T-2 had its guns installed, it would trade weight and
maneuverability for actual weapons! :-)

As you say, it would be an interesting fight!

Now, if we went with AT-37 with those non-afterburning J85s to replace
the J-69s, then it's no question the Tweet goes vertical and has the
Buckeye for lunch.

Yeah... same engines as the T-2C; much smaller airframe!