Old December 27th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Is 91.175 enforced in the USA?

Bob Moore wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote
I have a hard time imaging a pilot would want to fly a homemade GPS
approach.

I don't know why...I've flown homemade approaches all over the third
world using equipment far less accurate than GPS(Omega and INS) in big
jets. Sure as hell beat some of their ADFs in a thunderstorm.

BTW: Even in controlled airspace, Mexican controllers will not issue an
IFR clearance w/o asking you if you are instrument rated. Not sure what
purpose that serves though. I've gotten many IFR enroutes from Tijuana
control.

-Robert