Old September 10th 03, 01:57 AM
David Hartung

"Mike Marron" wrote in message

Having said that and for those who are interested, my Dad was one
of the first group of fighter pilots to operate supersonic fighters
(e.g: Dueces) with operational FIS squadrons back in the mid to
late '50's. A while back I shared with the NG a local newspaper
story about him ejecting from an F-102 over Wisconsin (predictably,
the nitpicker contingent here even picked apart THAT!) Anyway,
he especially loved the Duece's maneuverability and often spoke
fondly of the ol' bird. Seems Walt BJ who also flew the Duece felt
exactly the same way about it.

Perchance was your dad flying out of Truax at Madison? My Dad was a Pilot
for the ANG squadron at Madison. When he joined the unit in about 1956 they
were flying F89s, in late 1964 Dad was TDY to Perrin in Texas to learn to
fly the 102, he flew the Deuce from then until his retirement from the unit
in 1972. This doesn't have much to do with the 102 in SEA discussion, please
accept my apologies.