Old October 12th 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Watkins

Default Cable vs rope pulling glider from field

At 17:43 12 October 2011, kirk.stant wrote:
On Oct 12, 10:34=A0am, Auxvache wrote:
I'd like to make a stout wire cable or rope with proper TOST ring, to
have on hand should I have to tow my 15m glider from mud/soft dirt/
guano.
Is a metal cable necessary/preferable, or would high breaking-strength
rope be sufficient?
My only experience here (Chester loam, Pegase, and stick-shift BMW)
did not end well.
Thanks in advance,
Erik

You might consider keeping a Tost ring set in your glider, as part of
your landout kit. Nice to have when you want a local to help move
your glider to a different location for derigging, etc. Rope of some
sort is almost always available, but trying to use a rope loop in a
Tost release is an exercise in futility!

Kirk

If you are putting strain on the tow rope make sure you lay something
reasonably heavy (coat, car rug etc.) over the rope more than half from the
car to the glider. That way if the rope does break the rings, weak link
etc. won't end up flying through your back window!