Old March 14th 21, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default The decline of gliding - a worldwide issue?

There is something special about flying a helicopter. Mankind's version of a magic carpet.

On Thursday, March 11, 2021 at 11:43:09 AM UTC-8, Walt Connelly wrote:
'Martin Gregorie[_6_ Wrote:
;1040015']On Thu, 11 Mar 2021 03:28:36 -0800, R wrote:
-
To many, flying an aircraft is boring. They lost touch looking for
the magic in doing.
-
Well, lets face it, flying behind an engine *is* boring compared with
flying a sailplane - just not as boring as driving a car.

I rediscovered that a few years back when I treated myself to a flight
in
a DH Tiger Moth: that's a WW2 biplane basic trainer if you're on the
left
side of the pond. It was nice to fly, with a similar response to control

inputs as a K13, but the view forward was terrible, despite being in an

open cockpit, thanks to all those wings and engine in front. After 15
minutes or so I started to notice the lack of the stimulation we all get

from constantly sensing what the air is doing.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

If it's the view you seek try a helicopter. Stimulation? Do a full
down autorotation, a 180 autorotation, a steep approach to a confined
area with a confined area departure, recovery from Vortex Ring State.
Nothing compares with the view from a helicopter, NOTHING.
Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot.

--