Old January 13th 04, 12:44 AM
Eric Greenwell

Kirk Stant wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote in message ...

It was registered in the Experimetal class, just like your LS-6.

Curious; my LS6 is registered Experimental - Racing, but it is a
certified glider in Europe (JAR?) so I have to comply with all the
normal certified aircraft procedures.

Actually, you don't: "Experimental" gives you some leeway than
"certified" doesn't.

For example, I can't do annuals
on it myself.

Your glider doesn't get an "annual", but a "condition inspection" since
it is experimental. You and I don't get to do the condition inspections
(my glider is "experimental" also) because we didn't build the aircraft,
like one in the experimental-amatuer built category.

As I understand it, the Sparrowhawk is not certified anywhere, just
registered Experimental - as in homebuilt experimental, where you can
do all the work yourself on it. I didn't know you could build and
sell aircraft that way - I thought they had to be kit built.

So it really isn't "just like my LS6", as I see it.

The Russia AC-4 and AC-5M (for example) aren't certified, either, and
are licensed in the US in the "Experimental" category (racing and
exhibition, I assume). My ASH 26 E wasn't certified anywhere (not US,
not Germany) when I licensed it, either. A year or so later, it did
receive it's US certification, and I can convert to that category if I
wish to do so.

Or do I have all this certification stuff wrong? I havn't really read
up on it much.

It's confusing, all right.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA