Old November 23rd 04, 03:01 PM
James M. Knox

"nobody" wrote in
. com:

AUS and ELP are both GA Friendly.

In Austin, if you want services the choices are
really AUS, GTU, HYI and maybe T74. There
are GA airports with fuel, but not much in the
way of FBO or services.

Hopfully someone from El Paso will speak up, but it has always
be very GA friendy to me. There is a hotel within walking distance
and the FBO also offered a ride and pickup. Also restaurants
next to the hotel.

Ronnie pretty much gave you all the key elements. In spite of our
ongoing fight between AUS and the GA community, it's over permanent
residence, not transients. Have no concerns about flying into AUS. Two
runways - you will almost certainly get the east one, which lead you
right to the FBO's. Fuel prices are high (typical of a class-C airport),
but otherwise services will be excellent. I would recommend either
Signature or Trajen.

El Paso is usually low traffic for its size. Taxiing around is harder
than anything else. G Cutter is probably a good choice for an FBO
there. I've taken Warriors and Arrows into both airports many many
times.

Having said that, if you want a bit of an "experience," do consider T82
Fredricksburg. It's a few miles closer than AUS (and that leg from ELP
will be long, even with a tail wind this time of year). Right on the
field is a "new" hotel styled like a 50's army barracks (trust me, it's
a LOT better than that sounds). Real nice place to stay for the night,
complete with restaurant (and 50's diner next door). There's a web site
for the hotel. Don't remember the URL, but you should be able to track
it down. [If not, give me a holler.]

And if you get stuck in Austin (lately the ceilings have been averaging
0), give me a holler.

jmk