Old January 27th 04, 10:19 AM
funkraum

"John R Weiss" wrote:
"funkraum" wrote...

There was a hi-jack in the 80s (?) where one of the military personnel
on the ground attempted to shoot a hi-jacker through the windshield on
a 747 (?) . Nothing happened of course, due to the thickness of the
material. My assumption had been that the round was most likely
7.62mm.

If the shot was fired at a 747 windshield from the ground, the impact angle
would have as much to do with lack of penetration as the thickness of the
material. Also, if a rifle round from a SWAT team, it would just as likely be a
5.56mm (.223 cal) from an AR-15 or similar.

I do not think there are many Middle Eastern armed forces using the
5.56mm, especially in 1984.

http://www.geocities.com/khlim777_my/ashijack.htm

"A Kuwait Airways B747 was hijacked by Shi'a gunmen to fly to Tehran.
In this hijack, two US servicemen were killed. After the 6 days
ordeal, the Iranian Security forces were able to bring the hijack to
an end when they disguised themselves as cleaners. "

Also here listed under 1984:

http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_hijacking

If I remember correctly, the Iranians were equipped with the HK G3 and
were producing it under license. Most likely the firearm used was a
G3, G3 SG/1 or PSG1.