Old February 25th 04, 01:29 PM
Bert Willing

So how comes that these linear indicators can't be found anymore ? All car
manufacturers on this planet ignoring human perception ?
I also had something like this on a Citroën GS...

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Robert Ehrlich" a écrit dans le message de
André Somers wrote:
The "normal" instruments are very easy to
interpret (it has been shown that round dials are by far the easiest to
comprehend for the human brain: judging angles is easier than judging a
distance or reading and interpretting a figure.)

Not obviuous for me. Head up displays use rather vertical scales with
a moving index. I remember some Mercedes cars about 40 years ago had
also a speed indicator of this type, a colored bar filling less or more
of a vertical slot with a scale on the border. The color changed when
your speed was above the max allowed inside towns. At that time it was
purely mechanical, just a colored disc behind the slot rotating like
the usual needle around a pivot at the bottom of the slot, with a boundary
that was a spiral rather than a circle. Such an airspeed indicator in
a saiplane would probably easier to comprehend than some round dials
with more than one turn and 2 different values under the needle.
However the limitation of space to that of a standard instrument
would not allow it.