Old December 28th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Yankee

Default DG response re service fee

I e-mailed Dr. Weber with some constructive suggestions and questions
regarding his proposed service fee policy, and am posting part of this
exchange because fellow DG and LS owners may be interested.

SUGGESTION: To the extent that service fees are really necessary, why
not add some reasonable amount to support services, parts, manual
revisions, etc. as they are ordered and needed?

REPLY: "Many additional information are available now and I really
like to ask you, to read the complete article carefully once more. I
am sure that then you will understand why this Service Agreement is
necessary to maintain our Type Support and keep the gliders flying."

SUGGESTION: At least give people a choice. I.e., if they elect to
pay 245 Euros a year up front, they enjoy your technical support for
free and some discount on parts; those who do not pay the annual fee
can be charged some nominal cost of $100 or so for a tech note or a
drawing, and will pay a higher price for parts -- but they will not be
shut out.

REPLY: "Many additional information are available now and I really
like to ask you, to read the complete article carefully once more. I
am sure that then you will understand why this Service Agreement is
necessary to maintain our Type Support and keep the gliders flying."

QUESTION: Suppose I choose not to pay the fee, continue flying my
DG-300 another five years, then sell it. Now what happens if the new
owner wants your technical support? Can he buy into the program?
And, if so, at what cost? Will he only pay the current year? Or will
you charge him also for five years I didn't pay? Will you make him
pay 1225 Euros just to order something simple like a tailwheel axle,
or get one "free" technical drawing?

REPLY: None.