Old August 23rd 03, 03:53 PM
PA28Rdrvr

At my home airport, I always pick up my clearance from FSS via GCO. If
there is any reluctance or problem on the part of FSS with
coordinating/issuing a clearance from Center, I get very nervous. Recently
I asked for clearance and after few minutes, FSS guy came back on the line
and told me that he could not make contact with Center and recommended that
I depart VFR and pick up clearance once airborne. Very unusual. Weather
was VFR but lots of convective activity, sky broken. I departed and once
airborne, discovered Center was very very busy. I didn't know why. After
many radio calls and leveling off at appropriate VFR altitude, Center
responded to my calls. I picked up my clearance but not "as filed". Turns
out that Center radar was out of service (was not mentioned in FSS briefing
of notams) and thus pilots having to fly airways only and provide numerous
position/altitude reports to Center. So, after Center gave me my clearance,
I had to scramble to check charts to make sure I could comply before
accepting. Everything worked out fine but this falls into the "never again"
category for me. If I have trouble getting clearance on ground I will make
sure I understand why before making decision to pick up clearance in air.
It's amazing that I have become, over time, uncomfortable going VFR cross
country. bty, I enjoy lurking in this group and learning from you all.
"Roger Tracy" wrote in message
I usually depart VFR and pick up my clearance after takeoff with departure
at the nearby Class C. Often I won't even have to ask for it .. when I
report
airborne they'll say .. "I'll bet you're looking for your clearance .. "
and give it
to me. I'm in Nebraska. Unless they've got a notice out about not picking
up clearances airborne .. what grounds would they have to chew you out?

Sounds to me like you've just got a bunch of overworked, crabby
controllers out there.

"Michael 182" wrote in message
Maybe this is a Potomac area thing. In Colorado I have never been

refused
clearance by Denver Approach. The worst that ever happened was about 5
minutes of circling while I waited for the controller to have enough

time
take care of me. The only time I ever get a clearance on the ground is

if
it
is IFR weather for the departure, and that is rare in Colorado.