Old May 5th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default AUTOPILOT PROS & CONS

An autopilot is very useful as long as it is used properly.
In VMC, use the autopilot to fly the departure, allowing you
more time to scan for traffic. This is very important in
night VMC. Use the autopilot at cruise to let you rest and
while checking on weather. Use the autopilot for some of
your approaches so you are proficient in the management of
the system. But hand fly enough so you are 100% proficient
because the autopilot can fail.

If you had a live copilot, you would share legs, treat the
A/P the same, use it as an aid not a crutch. Be sure to
read the entire POH supplement and know all the limitations
and failure modes.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"STICKMONKE" wrote in message
|I got my IFR rating 7 months ago. I use the KAP140
autopilot a lot. From
| climb-out to MDA/DA. I find it really helps in my
management of the plane
| and the IFR flight. I am interested in comments regarding
the pros and cons