Old December 2nd 04, 07:36 AM
ShawnD2112

Good tip, B. Dan at Softie said the same thing. He also suggested it
because in an emergency we typically revert to learned habit and it one's
habit is to take off the parachute every time one gets out of the airplane,
there's a risk that person would do the same thing when bailing out. I can
certainly understand the logic behind that.

Shawn

"Byron J. Covey" wrote in message
.. .
A good habit to get into is to exit the airplane following each flight
while still wearing the parachute. You will find that it catches on
something until you learn the proper body position for clearance. If you
have to exit in an emergency, the learned body position will make it
easier, although you certainly will be dealing with additional variables!

BJC
Formerly S-1S w National 360

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
k...
Jay,
Was in a similar situation and just this weekend took delivery of a new
Sortie seatpack chute. I didn't know anything about parachutes, didn't
want to become an expert, so I figured I was not a good candidate for
buying a used one. Also I didn't really want to trust my last-chance
piece of equipment to something I didn't know the full history on. With
a bailout rig, there's no redundant system in case it fails. It cost me
$1,500.00 but I felt it was one piece of equipment that was worth not
scrimping on.

I phoned Softie and spoke to Jim, explained the kind of flying I do and
what my knowledge base was (none!). He talked me through all the types
of rigs and the things I needed to consider. It took about 3 or 4 calls
with various questions and dimensions of myself and the airplane to get
sorted what I wanted. I haven't used it yet...wait, let me rephrase
that...I haven't worn it yet in the airplane, so I don't know if it all
fits in the seat pan and I can get in and out of the airplane with it on,
but so far so good.

I'd give Softie a call just as a place to start. They were really
helpful and down to earth. Good luck whichever way you go!

Shawn
"Jay Moreland" wrote in message
newsXbrd.172979$HA.168018@attbi_s01...
I need advice on a pilot emergency chute. I am only a pilot and know
nothing about parachutes. I need an emergency parachute because I will be
doing aerobatics in a Pitts-like biplane: required by FAA. My weight is
#140. The altitude I will be landing if I am unlucky enough to need to
use the chute is 5400 feet. I am considering purchasing a used parachute
that I would have inspected and re-packed regularly by a professional
Master rigger.

Is buying a 10 year old parachute like a Security, Softie, Strong...etc
going to be significantly less safe than a brand new parachute?
(Assuming it checks out as OK by the Master rigger)

Is there anything to watch out for?

Are there any special tests that I need to have done on a used parachute
to know that it is still safe?

If the red-line on the aircraft is 180kts, should I worry about the
parachute being rated to only 150 knots or should I assume that I will
slow down to terminal velocity in an emergency and will only need the
150 knot capability?

What other considerations should I think of?