Old December 2nd 04, 05:33 PM
Al MacDonald

Jay,

Most 24' parachutes would be fine for your weight at sea level, but at 5400
ASL the landing would be hard. I've landed National 24' at 3500 ft and it
was ok, but I also have 1500 jumps. The next size up is 26', and although
it is more expensive, it is also a little larger and heavier.....and a
little less easy for climbing in/out of the cockpit. You have to decide if
the smaller/lighter/cheaper parachute system will offset the possibility of
a lower leg injury on landing. Oh yes, bones take longer to heal as we get
older. Something else to consider is potential opening speeds. The red
line on my Pitts is 205 statute, well above the max deployment speeds of a
number of parachutes (some are as low as 150 mph, other 150 kts). While I
plan on delaying an opening for a couple of seconds after exit (if altitude
is available), I draw from considerable experience and I can maintain the
best body position for a good deployment without tumbling. Most pilots
don't have this background. You do not want to deploy a parachute rated for
150 kts at 180 kts, as the opening shock increases in square to the speed
increase, and the parachute most likely has only been tested to 175 kts.

Nothing wrong with a 10 year old parachute, if it is properly inspected and
the fabric strength tested. Any Senior or Master Rigger does this all the
time as part of the repack. Because you are trusting your life to the
person who inspects/packs your parachute, find a GOOD local rigger, as the
parachute must be repacked every 120 days in the US. Ask around at a local
Drop Zone for recommendations; it doesn't take a lot of skill to
inspect/repack a parachute but, like everything else in life, attitude is
everything. I've packed lots of parachutes over 40 years old as long as
they are in good shape and the fabric strength tests ok, but there is a
movement afoot in the industry to put a 20 year life span on parachute
equipment. Newer parachute systems utilize a full diaper to assist in a
more effective deployment; I'd say this is a must.

The parachute of the right size for you comes in the appropriate container
style for your needs (back/seat/chair), which is a combination of where you
have space for the bulk and your size/height/length. I'm 6' 160# and I
could probably use a seat pack in my S-1D, however the previous owner put a
board over the seat pan and I am using a chairpack. It works well for me,
as I'm up high enough for best view and the chair is much easier to climb
in/out with than a seat pack. Also, with the pilot chute of a seat pack
pointing down, in theory you would need to deploy on your head or at least
90 degrees to vertical. Chair and back is fine for head up or body at 90
degrees to the relative wind.

In case you're wondering, I deal with parachutes as my full time occupation.

Al MacDonald
Flying High Manufacturing inc.

"Jay Moreland" wrote in message
newsXbrd.172979$HA.168018@attbi_s01...
I need advice on a pilot emergency chute. I am only a pilot and know
nothing about parachutes. I need an emergency parachute because I will be
doing aerobatics in a Pitts-like biplane: required by FAA. My weight is
#140. The altitude I will be landing if I am unlucky enough to need to use
the chute is 5400 feet. I am considering purchasing a used parachute that I
would have inspected and re-packed regularly by a professional Master
rigger.

Is buying a 10 year old parachute like a Security, Softie, Strong...etc
going to be significantly less safe than a brand new parachute? (Assuming
it checks out as OK by the Master rigger)

Is there anything to watch out for?

Are there any special tests that I need to have done on a used parachute
to know that it is still safe?

If the red-line on the aircraft is 180kts, should I worry about the
parachute being rated to only 150 knots or should I assume that I will
slow down to terminal velocity in an emergency and will only need the 150
knot capability?

What other considerations should I think of?