Old September 21st 18, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Soaring in or around Maidenhead UK

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 09:36:25 -0700, John Huthmaker wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I didnt want you all to think that I abandoned this thread.
Unfortunatley my journey out has been not good from the start. My
original flight out was cancelled. I was supposed to arrive mid day
yesterday so that I could start my work today. After the delays I didnt
arrive till 6am local time today; and of course my luggage didnt make it
out (although they just dropped it off at the hotel). I had no sleep
for almost 2 days, so it pooched any chance of working today. That has
now compressed my schedule. This weekend is now not going to be possible
to do any soaring. The only potential day for me will be Wednesday.
And from what I'm reading, it will depend on the weather if that works
out.

I havent given up hope. I'd really like to see what its like to do a
winch launch, and see the countryside from the air. But if doesnt work
out, I'll just have to make another trip out here. My wife has been
dying to come here, so I have an excuse to come back anyways.

John

Wednesday is looking OK-ish at the moment according to UK Met Office
synoptic charts, though not great as it will be toward back end of a
high. Its center should be over the southern Irish Coast at midday
Monday, the Dutch coast at midday Tuesday and that's as far as the 5-day
forecast goes. RASP (a blipmap equivalent using GFS forecasts) more or
less agrees with the Met Office for Tuesday, and for Wednesday it
predicts weak blue thermals (2.5-3kts to 1500 ft) and an 8 kt southerly
breeze at flying height, so fingers crossed.

I'm planning to fly at Cambridge on Tuesday.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org