Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default AS 33

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 1:00:08 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:
At 03:00 05 July 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 12:35:02 PM UTC-7,
wrote=
:
The JS-3 is gonna spank it=E2=80=99s pee pee.

Rather bold unsubstantiated claim. While Jonkers is a welcome addition

to
=
the list of manufacturers, Schleicher has built more ASG-29's than

Jonkers
=
has total aircraft. I bet Schleicher knows a thing or two on how to make
t=
heir new glider slip a bit better.

Yeah the 28 and 30 and 31 have been real world beaters

The ASH-26, ASH-31 and ASH-30 were all designed by Martin H., as self launch motor gliders. The ASH-31 has sold over 300 gliders, sounds pretty successful to me, maybe you can name some other current self launcher that is as successful? As motor gliders they have more wing area so they can climb in weak thermals.

Schleicher and Schempp have a long history of making great gliders. Jonkers has started that tradition too, however they have only produced a handful of gliders compared to the other two listed. It will be interesting to see if the V3 designed as a low energy glider with higher wing area and lower wing loading than the J3 or AS33 will prove to be the glider to have in all conditions. Only a few pilots race, most want a glider they can fly when it is strong or weak. On winter days I really miss the 6.2 pounds of my nimbus 4, and on summer days the 9.2 pounds just didn't seem enough, until the end of the day when I was still flying and the heavier wing loaded birds were on the ground put away. As for the ASW-28, standard is dead, and Schleicher never made a seriously competitive Standard class glider. Although I thought my ASW-24 was on par with a Discus in the run, maybe slightly better, I thought it did not climb as well, but it had a forward hinged canopy instead of the silly side hinged.