Old August 2nd 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P Ilatus[_1_]

Default Quiet Vent

hi
is this device removeable? we can't have permanently
fixed stuff on our planes here in europe without a
lot of hassle.

thx

At 02:00 01 August 2006, Ron Rw wrote:
On 28 Jul 2006 16:12:17 -0700,
wrote:

Ron (RW) wrote:
Some months ago, I read a post from a John Morgan,
Minden NV. He was
developing a gadget that was to diminish noise from
the clearvision
panel vent. I think he called it the Quiet Vent.
Any further word on
his venture? Any contact info? THNX Ron W (RW)

To add a bit to the other posts here, John is an inveterate
tinkerer
and was rumored to be close to winning the prize for
the Stemme factory
adopting 100 of his suggestions when he sold his Stemme
for an ASH26E.
More seriously, I can vouch that John is in this for
the fun of helping
others. At $5 or $9 each there's no way money is the
motivation.

That said, it might help to describe the QV. It's a
piece of flexible
plastic with adhesive on one end that makes a smooth
curve on the vent
window, eliminating the turbulence of the sharp edges
of the existing
vent. That should reduce noise and John made measurements
on his ASH
that showed 10 dB reduction. On my Stemme, I'm not
sure it's making
that much difference and I was supposed to do a test
for John a few
days ago when I was up at Minden, but we got busy with
other things and
the test will have to wait til next trip. John's concerned
that the
lack of a good exhaust in the Stemme cockpit (it's
pretty air tight)
may cause the QV not to work as well, hence the test.

BTW, all this thread is about QV's and the MK-2 yaw
string is being
overlooked. I've had one of those for a while and love
it. It replaces
the ugly tape with a small clear plastic diamond (again
with adhesive)
and makes a beautiful ship just a little bit prettier.

As you can tell from the above, I'm a good friend of
John's so you can
discount my comments as much or as little as you want.
But if you talk
to the Stemme and ASH26E owners who have benefited
from his many
innovations, you'll be grateful he became a soaring
pilot.

Martin

Just received my QV today. Very quick shipment
I'll be installing
it this weekend. Thanks, John RW