Old February 10th 18, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 6:13:24 PM UTC+3, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 2/9/2018 12:41 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:

snip
I once took a winch launch and upon turning final chased the ASI to the ground and a very abrupt stop 50 yards short of the runway in standing barley.

/snip

I'd say you did that absolutely correctly.Â* Trying to make the field
might well have killed you.Â* Well done!

In strong westerly wave/ridge conditions in New Zealand we often fly the base leg inside the (landable) airfield boundary, even in high performance gliders, planning to land well inside the airfield. Getting down and stopped in the available space is *not* a problem, even if it's only 500 meters total available.