Old January 8th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

Default Straight deck ops

Corsairs had two probs: Pilot vis over the nose in the early aircraft and
strut bounce. Both were solved after the war (the first only to a degree)
and the aircraft was no more challenging than its contemporaries. Night
work was another matter and when they tried to fly the relatively
underpowered jets of the late forties and early fifties in the same manner,
problems arose. Most Korean war losses were operational, not combat.

Personally, I found the Turkey quite nice around the back end of the boat.
It took flying, but with an approach speed about 10% less than the Phantom
and gobs of lift (and fuel), it was hard to hurt yourself in it. By
comparison, the Phantom was supremely stable and had great response to
thrust, but a few hit the ramp now and then. The F-8 would enact punitive
measures for just a moment's hesitation ... highest mishap rate in the
modern (angled deck, OLS) era.

A comment made at one of the last "Last Crusader Balls:" "You know
Lightning, we're looking at a lot of memorial services that never happened."

R / John

"Bob McKellar" wrote in message

"qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Greasy Rider wrote:
On 8 Jan 2007 05:48:43 -0800, "qui si parla Campagnolo"
postulated :

I thought the F-14 was tough to bring aboard. Corsair pilots, very
impressed. Gotta love paddles in shorts too, getting their tan set for
liberty.

It was my understanding that the Corsair was not an ideal aircraft for
carrier ops because of the limited forward visibility and most were
transferred over the Marines.

All true but it was flown around the boat by a few really good
avaitors, had to be to be able to do it.

A gentleman I know who few Corsairs in the Pacific war said they
considered the Japanese "a minor irritation", compared to the task of
getting back aboard the carrier.

Bob McKellar