Old February 27th 05, 09:15 AM
Roger

On 26 Feb 2005 15:48:41 -0800, wrote:

Hey all,
I'm looking at starting to build a premolded composite quickbuild kit
within the next few months. I'm looking to get as much practice
glassing before I get started. I've already been to the EAA sportair
composite construction shop and it was awesome. Some people recommended
to get an RC kit and practice the fibreglassing techniques on that, but
when I went to the local hobby shop, the dude told me nobody uses
fibreglassing on RC planes. Anyway, any of you guys have any advice on
what's the best way to get practice working with moldless construction
before actually starting the plane?

There isn't a whole lot to it. If you've already gone through the
work shop you've essentially done it all. Well, most of it. The main
differences would come from using epoxy or Vinyl Ester Resin. The
main difference being the viscosity and cloth density. Work out the
air bubbles, stipple where necessary with out inducing air bubbles,
squeegee out excess resin, and/or use peel ply.

I purchase Dacron, or rayon and use it for peel ply at a fraction on
the cost. Much depends on the coarseness of the weave and the
strength of the fibers, but it does a great job of leaving a finished
looking surface that is ready for the next lay-up.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Omri