Old April 25th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Buying a Pitts for aerobatics and touring

The Extra actually isn't all that hard to land. However, it has a fast sink
rate with the power off, and of course no forward visibility. Pattern
techniques generally requires staying close to the runway, and then pulling
the throttle abeam the numbers. Keeping the AS at about 90 k, and you
usually will make the runway (but not always, with a good headwind). A more
difficult scenario is following a Cessna 152 trainer in the pattern who is
doing those five mile finals like a 747. Then, I try to keep it high, and
slip it in, rather than get low and slow.

Over the numbers is actually faster than my Baron, although the higher speed
makes crosswinds less of an issue. Once it's down it won't do the
Pitts/Eagle hopping around. The biggest issue is the lack of forward
visibility, particularly at uncontrolled airports, like where the C-152 in
front suddenly decides to use the whole runway, and you can't see what he's
doing. Slipping or curving approaches maximize forward visibility until
touchdown.

In the three point attitude it will touch down before stalling, although I
have the stall horn turned off, since it would be going off constantly while
doing acro, and a big distraction.

So, it's not really that hard to land, but does require some different kinds
of planning and thinking ahead.