Old September 4th 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Vario Comparison

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 7:06:24 PM UTC-7, Mike Borgelt wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 August 2018 23:13:24 UTC+10, wrote:
Mike,

Congrats on the new gadget. It sounds great. Since you are here and talking about TE compensation, there is a dumb question that I've often wondered about.

In theory TE = MGH + 1/2MV**2

but ideally, should V be the plane speed vector with respect to the air or ground?

-Stu

The air. But that isn't as simple as you might think.

More on Dynamis on our website. See the article "Horizontal Gusts" and under products - Dynamis Variometer System.

I'll put up some more articles and maybe comment under "blog" on the website over the next few days. Also pricing.

I'd like to get the next few local systems installed and test flown before release to the wider world.

Mike

My guess is that you incorporated a vertical accelerometer (G meter) to differentiate between a lifting air mass and horizontal gusts (which don't produce vertical acceleration). I believe this has already been done in the Butterfly vario.

Tom