Old August 25th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Default If GA is down, why aren't used aircraft prices?

wrote in
ups.com:

On Aug 25, 11:24 am, Dallas wrote:
If the number of private pilots is down from 299,000 to 236,000, why
are prices for used aircraft maintaining and even out pacing
inflation?

Economics 101, first day of class - price is determined by supply and
demand. Yet I've noticed over the past couple of years the average
price for a late '70's Cessna 172 has floated up from $59,000 to
$66,000. Cessna 150s have gone from $22,000 to $26,000.

Mind you, this is a completely subjective observation on my part, but
it does seem accurate.

--
Dallas

Perhaps the supply of old airplanes is dwindling... hull losses,
scrapped out due to airworthiness issues that exceed the hull value,
etc. etc.

That is the other side of the equation. Does anyone have any data on
the rate of GA hull retirements/losses?

Dean W
AeroLEDs LLC
www.aeroleds.com

The price of a used anything is a function of both demand AND the
price of a new one. Look at the price of a new C-172.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)