Old October 5th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
BlackBeard

Default The Osprey Goes to War

On Oct 5, 12:50 pm, Typhoon502 wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:52 pm, Walt wrote:

On Oct 5, 9:24?am, Typhoon502 wrote:

On Oct 5, 8:54 am, Walt wrote:

Harriers and Ospreys are incompatible in their capabilities, and
Harriers can't scan the terrain and react the way a helo can.

The speed and range of the Osprey is moot because it is limited to the
speed and range of the Cobra. That is just bedrock.

The TOT scenario assumes that the Ospreys won't be escorted en route
and that is just an insupportable position. That too is bedrock.

Sorry, not buying it. You evolve your tactics to use your new
capability, you don't restrict your capability to stick to old
tactics.

Your argument is with the laws of physics, not me. Until you can get
the laws of physics to change, or the nature of war, the Osprey is a
giant useless boondoggle, at least for any missions that might involve
an enemy force.

How on earth is it a violation of laws of physics to launch Cobras at
0330 and Ospreys at 0430? And I still want to know what genius of
planning would schedule the transports to arrive in the hot zone at
the same time that the first armed aircraft are arriving.

IIRC wasn't it SOP during WWII that fighter escorts would rendevous
with long range bombers at some point during the mission. They left
from different airfields, at different times, yet still often made the
rendevous and stayed with the bombers as long as they could (prior to
the long range escorts) and eventually throughout the flight while in
hostile skies.
With modern advancements in technology you would think if they could
do it back then, they can do it better now. Coordinating your escort
gunships to arrive at the LZ 10 minutes before the transports, from
different (closer) airbases, or leaving from the same base earlier,
isn't rocket science.

BB

I guess everybody has some mountain to climb.
It's just fate whether you live in Kansas or Tibet...