Old October 25th 09, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Brian Whatcott

Default Jeppesen Garmin Nav Updates

wrote:
On Oct 23, 7:00 pm, brian whatcott wrote:
wrote:
I don't think there are any computer based "FAA approved software".

I AM nit-picking here, no more....

The FAA offers for download to the people who need it, a PC application
which will compute the spherical geometry for the distance and angle
between two lat/lon coordinate pairs, or location of a point at a given
distance and bearing from a given lat/lon etc., etc.

If you need a standard computation for navaid siting etc., this is it.

Ahh, appreciate this kind of nit pick and distinction. I never knew
this, and probably 99.95 percent of the IFR rated pilot population are
not aware of this.

I was pretty much talking about the generic public domain software
such as ATP, Golden Eagle, AOPA flight planner (before they went to
web based) that interacted with whatever FAA website that provides the
approach charts.

Sounds to me the software you describe though wouldn't be used for
"just downloading approach charts", am I correct in this assumption?

Affirmative

Brian W