Old March 15th 04, 02:07 PM
Jim

I'll take a chance and assume you're talking about KISW. Conditions by me,
east of there went from 2000 and 5 to just about 0 around noon Saturday,
snowing like heck. One problem in our area is poor radar coverage at that
altitude from ZMSP. While inbound in close to the airport while IFR but not
yet on an approach segment I've had students request a lower altitude than
3000 to remain out of icing. I've only heard of one case that they let the
guy go down to 2800, but that was it.

The thing to keep in mind would be that they may not have complete radar
coverage on you, they may have a primary fix, but not mode C info. You
could try asking for a clearance at your current altitude, give them a
position report and they may clear you to an initial approach fix requireing
you to report at the fix, then once you do clearing you for the approach.
You could then circle to land if required.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply