Old December 17th 03, 12:45 AM
Helimech

Your right, pictures are great. The problem is with the head assembled you
can't see the TT strap. I'll e-mail you some pictures from the BK117
(semi-rigid) head scanned from the Maintenance Manual and the Part Catalog
and also the same for the A109A/AII (fully articulated) head. JC

wrote in message

Having a picture certainly helps, but I'm still confused as to where
exactly that they go. First, are we talking about a semi-rigid or
fully articulated or other hub?

Essentially, it looks a lot like a box end wrench. However, in
function, it sounds a lot like an elastomeric bearing.

Do you know of any closeup photos with TT straps installed on the hub?

Dennis.

"Helimech" wrote:

The Tension-Torsion (TT) straps are basically 2 bushings a certain

distance
apart connected together by thousands of turns (I've heard something

like
12,000 turns) of stainless steel wire (around .020" dia.), sealed in a
plastic like covering. These straps (one for each blade) are what hold

the
main rotor blades to the rotor hub. The straps have to handle the huge
centrifugal loads (tension) of the blade but still allow for pitch

(torsion)
control inputs from the pilot. Here is a link to Lord Corporation and a
picture of some TT straps. Lord is the present manufacture of the

straps
for the BK117 and BO105. The strap that failed in Houston was made by
Bendix. http://www.lordmpd.com/aerospace/rot...ion_straps.asp

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone could describe a TT strap better but

this
is the best I can do this early in the morning. JC

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm