Old March 1st 17, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Garden

Default Test results LiFePO4 glider batteries after 6 years

Are LiFePo4 batteries not rated using a standard 1C discharge rate

like=
SLA batteries? So, for a 10ah battery the rated capacity would be
achieve=
d at a discharge rate of 1a. 2.5a seems on the high side for a glider,
ev=
en one with a fair number of electronic goodies. My ship draws not too
mu=
ch over 1a with FSG71, Trig, Clearnav, Flarm, and CNv. No? =20

On the last glider, I was blowing 3A fuses when running the aux refuelling

pump (when the rest of the avionics were on)
Uprated the fuses on both main batteries to 5A.
Ended up carrying 58AH @ 12V
2 x 22AH LiPo (Avionics)
1 x 14AH LifePo4 (Engine start duties, in flight charged from engine)
Would last all day at very low temps.

We really need to stop faffing about with batteries invented 2 centuries
ago to try to run modern avionics.

LiPo's are not idiot friendly batteries (despite being in almost every
mobile
phone on the planet) LiFePo4 are slightly more Luddite-friendly.
But when you change battery chemistry, you need to change battery
chargers.
You don't run a Diesel engine on Gas.
You don't charge a LiPo from a lead acid charger.