Old February 2nd 19, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default Power rating -- looking for regulatory guidance

On 2/2/2019 11:25 AM, John Cochrane wrote:
I have a glider commercial rating, and I'm adding on my power rating. The
question is, just what requirements do I need to solo?

Yes, I know the relevant reg --

§61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization
requirements.

(d) Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on operating an
aircraft as the pilot in command. To serve as the pilot in command of an
aircraft, a person must—...

(2) Have received training required by this part that is appropriate to the
pilot certification level, aircraft category, class, and type rating (if a
class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown, and have
received an endorsement for solo flight in that aircraft from an authorized
instructor.

The question is, does "have received training" mean "have received all of
the training?" That seems pretty stiff -- you have to do the instrument and
night cross country first. Does it mean "have received any of the
training?" That seems (for the FAA) pretty loose, especially compared to
the rules for student pilots. Half an hour of take offs and landings and
off you go. It seems to mean, whatever it takes to satisfy the instructor
that you're competent for solo flight, which seems unusually sensible.

My question here, since many of you may have followed this path, does
anybody know of a letter, FAQ, or other official statement from the FAA --
the type that might convince airplane operator chief instructors,
presidents, insurance companies, and examiners -- on this issue?

Ancient info I know, but I'm not betting you'll "like the official answer in
fact."

Ca. 1980 I went so far as to partner in a C-150, for the ostensible purpose of
adding a PP-SEL to my PP-Glider. The applicable, pertinent-to-me, FAR wasn't
training hours/requirements, but *testing* FARs: one explicitly stated (since
changed, I believe/expect) the examiner had the OPTION (word actually used in
the applicable reg.) of examining the applicant on VOR navigation. The VOR in
our 150 being "for all practical purposes" inop, I was unable to find an
examiner (private or FAA) willing to let me take the test in our 150. I never
bothered to obtain my power rating.

In the absence of "hard words supporting your version of common sense," I'll
put my money on your situation today likely "running up against the same sort
of thing"...but more so, since 'Murican society doesn't seem to have gotten
less litigious in the years since.

Additional RAS feedback should be interesting...

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com