Old February 3rd 19, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jp

Default Power rating -- looking for regulatory guidance

On Saturday, February 2, 2019 at 10:25:06 AM UTC-8, John Cochrane wrote:
I have a glider commercial rating, and I'm adding on my power rating. The question is, just what requirements do I need to solo?

Yes, I know the relevant reg --

§61.31 Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.

(d) Aircraft category, class, and type ratings: Limitations on operating an aircraft as the pilot in command. To serve as the pilot in command of an aircraft, a person must—...

(2) Have received training required by this part that is appropriate to the pilot certification level, aircraft category, class, and type rating (if a class or type rating is required) for the aircraft to be flown, and have received an endorsement for solo flight in that aircraft from an authorized instructor.

The question is, does "have received training" mean "have received all of the training?" That seems pretty stiff -- you have to do the instrument and night cross country first. Does it mean "have received any of the training?" That seems (for the FAA) pretty loose, especially compared to the rules for student pilots. Half an hour of take offs and landings and off you go. It seems to mean, whatever it takes to satisfy the instructor that you're competent for solo flight, which seems unusually sensible.

My question here, since many of you may have followed this path, does anybody know of a letter, FAQ, or other official statement from the FAA -- the type that might convince airplane operator chief instructors, presidents, insurance companies, and examiners -- on this issue?

Thanks

John Cochrane (BB)

John,

This is not likely an issue for you but just as general info, to legally solo an aircraft, thus being PIC, the pilot needs a current flight review. For an add-on this means a current flight review in the aircraft for which the pilot is already certificated. Several of our add-on folks have sadly bumped into this requirement.