Old November 19th 03, 05:08 AM
John Mazor

"Newps" wrote in message
news:lkCub.180151$mZ5.1290067@attbi_s54...

Tom S. wrote:

Seniority is a nonfactor at the FAA. We only use it to bid our

days off
twice a year.

Bull!! Seniority is a major (the major?) key in any bureaucracy or

Union.

I am not in the union. The only thing based on seniority is the

order
in which you get to pick your days off every 6 months. The union

local
used to get to set their own seniority policy for their own

facility.
NATCA National put the kabosh on that several years ago and now we

are
all under the same seniority policy nationwide. There are only 5

union
members at BIL ATCT out of 18 controllers. I will say that the FAA

has
bent over and let NATCA run ATC for many years now but as far as
seniority goes it ain't nuthin' like say the UAW.

That's because, as Reagan proved in 1981, federal unions such as PATCO
and NATCA are toothless tigers because they cannot strike. Their
sole power resides in their ability to convince management by the
logical force of argument - and we all know how well that works if
management doesn't want to cooperate - or lobbying for political
support on Capitol Hill. NATCA's expensive PR campaign to influence
Congress in the FAA Reauthorization Bill, necessitated by the loss of
the political support that they enjoyed during the Clinton years,
proves that point.

All of which confirms your response to Tom Ass that he has no clue
about federal unions.