Old August 3rd 05, 12:50 PM
Jackal24

Stan Gosnell wrote in
:

Peter wrote in
:

FAR 91.175 (a) suggests that it is not permitted to carry out a
descent in IMC except on an official published IAP.

Any views on this?

How would it differ if the entire procedure was done in Class G?

Offshore, we descend into HEDAs (Helicopter Enroute Descent Areas),
which are locations to which we can't legally fly instrument
approaches because there is no weather reporting, and that includes
several thousand platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. We just descend to
VMC, if it exists, in areas that have been previously checked and
found clear of obstructions. We have to verify, using weather radar
in ground mapping mode, that there are no new obstructions, as we
descend. Terrain is not a worry, but jackup drilling rigs can be.
Our minimum descent altitude is 400', and there are rigs with legs
much higher than that. Usually we set up a HEDA near a rig, close
enough so that we can see it from the center of the HEDA, but far
enough away to insure that we miss it.

There are ways around most difficulties, if you have time, money, and
influence to throw at them.

Wouldn't this be considered 'unless otherwise authorized'?