Old September 9th 05, 11:03 PM
Peter Duniho

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
I presume that you'[re talking about 61.113 (d), but that
requires that the "passengers make a donation to the
organization" Does Angel Flight collect the money, give it
to the passengers, and have them give it to the pilot? Do
they also meet all the other 7 requirements, day VFR, etc.?

Teach me to answer an esoteric question like that without actually reviewing
the regulation.

I don't see anything that allows a Private Pilot to be reimbursed for
charitable operations, except search & rescue. The regulation simply allows
the Private Pilot to offer their services in what otherwise might be
considered a "holding out" situation.

Still, I think the core of my answer was still correct. Inasmuch as Angel
Flight has any sort of arrangement now that allows the pilots to be
reimbursed (and it's not clear to me how they could, except for Commercial
Pilot certificate holders), I don't see how raising money to help fund that
reimbursement would be a problem.

Though, on second thought: if they use the funds raised to subsidize fuel
sales somewhere, or to buy fuel in bulk, or otherwise reduce fuel costs
without directly contributing to the pilot's bank account, I think they
could be okay, even with Private Pilot certificate holders.

Pete