Old December 8th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default IFR Cancellation Question

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Question two: While I wanted on the tapes that IFR cancellation was
received (see last transmission by me), was I truly and properly
cancelled out of the IFR system? Since the frequency was busy, figured
to let sleeping dogs rest, but I wasn't comfortable with the fact that I
didn't hear the buzz words "IFR cancellation received".

I wouldn't be too worried about that. There are a lot of checks for
unclosed flight plans and if they find you before they launch search
and rescue I can't imagine the FAA persuing it.

If you were concerned that the controller hadn't cancelled your IFR, you
could have called 1-800-WX-BRIEF and cancelled (again) on the phone.

I do agree that something seems to have gone funny here. It could just be
some non-standard phraseology on the part of the controller, or it could be
that he actually thought you were VFR all along (although, the "descend and
maintain 2000" makes me doubt that). An ASRS report couldn't hurt.