Old June 29th 09, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Default Torque Wrench Calibration

Jerry Wass wrote:
Bill wrote:
Make it so that you can pull the torsion bar wrench with the snap on--
against each other. They should read the same.

How could the torsion wrench be off if it zeros properly and nothing
in the ponter binds?

Bill Hale Loveland CO

You are correct for a bending rod type wrench--but some torque wrenches
have a spring loaded(adjustable)hollow handle that allows a piece to pop
out of a Vee notch making an audible click that is also felt in the
handle--(very handy for torquing where you can't see the dial or
pointer. Jerry

In the Air Farce we were supposed to click the break type torque
wrench three times at the lowest setting before using it. This was
supposed to spread the lubrication inside.

I like the idea of taking the wrench to a shop to check calibration.
Having said that, in my first shop in the USAF we calibrated torque
wrenches so I may be a tad biased. The machine we used was huge and
probably weighed close to a ton. Torque wrenches in the USAF are
periodically calibrated, I forget the cycle, and taken in for
calibration if dropped or abused.

I wonder if the electronic torque wrenches are worth the money. Has
anyone in RAH tried them?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired