Old June 30th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John T[_7_]

Default What does it cost to own an airplane?

Larry,

I've owned in partnerships and rented. Renting would be cheaper than
most forms of ownership, but they are really different products. When I
rented, I was always having difficulty with access. I would want to
take a 200 mile trip for the day, and someone would have already
reserved the plane for just one hour, smack in the middle of the day.
With renting, it's often hard to take the plane on a trip, unless you
turn around and come right back.

We have owned a 1978 P28R (Arrow at 140 hr/year) as a partnership for 18
years and have kept close track of costs. We are at $80/hr wet and
$750/mo for dues. We never have a cash call and there is no loan. Tie
down is $50/mo, so this is not luxury, but we keep the plane up. A
Cherokee 180 might be 20% less expensive to own.

Other partnerships will report lower costs, but unless they have minimal
insurance or do the annuals themselves, they are more likely letting the
plane depreciate while fooling themselves that they are flying on the cheap.

If you are pretty tight for money, stay away from owning a six cylinder.
None of them are economical.

I would budget $12k-$20k per year total (100 hours flying) for the types
of plane you mentioned, if you are the sole owner.

Finally, because fixed costs are so high, you've got to fly the heck out
of the plane to bring the amortized hourly cost down. Unless you can
tie flying into your job, the best way to do this is with a partnership.

Good luck!

-John

Larry D. Cosby wrote:
What are the real cost of operating a single engine airplane in today's
economy? I've rented planes over the years since I've been a licensed pilot.
(1976) . Would like to own my own, but wife says it cost too much in
maintenance costs to own our own. I'm thinking along the lines of a Piper
180 of the mid to late 60's. A Cherokee 235 would be great for hauling the
family, but it burns a lot of fuel. 15-17 GPH. Would rather stay below about
12 gallons an hour. Any ideas?
Larry