Old July 27th 09, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Eric

Default On pre-flight inspections

"D Ramapriya" wrote in message
Has any of you has ever discovered something during the pre-flight
inspection that necessitated a significant deferrment of your flight
plan or a cancelation altogether? Just curious, that's all.

Thanks,

Ramapriya

Well this is probably a bit OT since I was a student at the time, but it's a funny story...

On the 172 I flew most of the time, I think some rocket scientist A&P had replaced the door hinge
pins with nails. So one day we were doing our preflight, me on the left side of the airplane and my
instructor on the right side. I happened to look at the door hinge, noticed the pins were almost
worn through, and mentioned it to him (I was concerned the door could come off in flight). Just as
he was about to start berating me for being paranoid (slight exaggeration), he opened the door on
his side and... it fell off!

Flight canceled. :^)

Eric Law