Old May 18th 04, 02:16 PM
iPilot

Hi!

I made similar stuff out of Soligor gooseneck desktop tripod with ball mount. However, I quickly
realised that the stuff wears out rather fast and is unreliable. Therefore I bought mount with two
balls from Ram (RAM-A-101 - some $25 or smthng. from Paul Remde) and the resulting holder is very
rigid, reliable and can be positioned in almost every way I want.

Regards,
Kaido

"tango4" wrote in message ...

"Ian Strachan" wrote in message
news
In article , Jim Hendrix
writes
I've used the CAI 400 display for a few years. It came with an

articulated
mount (two gimble balls) that I attached to an instrument-hole blank.

The
motion of the mount, when punching the screen, was agrivating, so I

canned
the gimbled arm in favor of three long brass screws with nylon standoffs.
Now it's rigidly fixed to the panel and much less of a distraction.

Conversely my glider mount is rigid and sometimes I cannot see the LCD
well, particularly in bright sunlight (yes, we do occasionally get this
in the UK!). So at the end of this season my syndicate are thinking of
fitting a mount on a ball-joint. The joint will have to be capable of
being pretty well locked, though, to prevent the effect you mention.

In gliders flown by more than one pilot, I am not sure that a fixed
mount is the best solution.

--
Ian Strachan

Bentworth Hall West
Tel: +44 1420 564 195 Bentworth, Alton
Fax: +44 1420 563 140 Hampshire GU34 5LA, ENGLAND

Hi Ian

I did exactly this with a pair of Hama camera ball joints, cost me about £3
each. Works well in the Ventus and I've made a repeat version for the
Nimbus.
http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/ph...asp?albumid=29

Ian