Old May 16th 05, 04:37 PM
Dave Butler

Gene Whitt wrote:
Y'All,
Here are some thoughts that I have not yet posted to my web site.
Would appreciate any additions.

I'd add a note that although it is often recommended that one not descend below
MDA until you are aligned on the final, there are some circling approaches where
following this policy will cause you to miss, since at the minimum permissible
visibility, you will be too high to descend to the runway.

Gene Whitt
Flying in Circles IFR

---Circling approaches are an option to be avoided in times of reduced
visibility

---Circling requires that you have the runway in sight at all times

---You cannot leave the circling MDA unless able to descend to the runway

---You must choose the circle before descending below its MDA

"the" - "to" ? You must choose to circle... ?

---Circling at night, in low visibility and exposed to disorientation is a
lost poker hand

---The notes restricting just where circling is allowed is usually a clue

---Don't ask for a circling approach where ceilings are not well above
circling minimums

---By keeping your distance from the airport until turning final you avoid 'killer'
bank angles

---Being IFR in VFR conditions at an airport does NOT give you any special
'rights'

---Go missed if you lose visual of the runway